The ‘Sport’ entity represents the ‘sport’ being associated with a given league. Contains metadata specific to the sport.
- Schema: sid - Sport Id (primary key)
- Schema: name - Sport Name (index)
- (optional) Field(schema?): Type – Sport type (team/partner/individual sport)
- (optional) Field: Season – winter/summer
- (optional) Field: Facility Type – field, rink, diamond, court, etc
Possibly bundle by ‘sport type’ (team/partner/individual); or by ‘sport season’ (winter/summer) ... but bundles may not make sense unless there are multiple other classifications which fall in this range.
* Racing Sports: In racing sports, there are a number of competitors racing against each other and sometimes also in teams. The basic aim of a race is to be the fastest and first one to achieve a target. Racing sports can be further classified in to three types of sports; human powered sports like running and swimming, Human assisted like cycling and rowing and External powered like motor sports and sailing.
* Opponent sports: These sports are typically a contest between two players where the points achieved by the players decides the winner. These kind of sports can also be categorized into three prominent groups Court sports are the ones that are played in a court such as tennis, badminton and squash. Combat sports are one on one physical encounters between the opponent for e.g. Karate and boxing. And the Team sports are those which teams play against other teams example football and cricket. It is possible that a game belonging to court sports is also a team sport.
* Achievement sports: Achievement sports can be taken as the ones in which the competitors show off their abilities. The categories can help you understand it more clearly. There are three types of achievement sports; Target sports are the ones in which the aim is to hit a target e.g. shooting and archery. Display sports are the ones in which the players exhibit certain ability or moves like in bodybuilding, gymnastics and diving. In strength sports, the participants show off their strength as in weight lifting and triple jump.
* Athletics: Finally, there are athletics in which the competitors need to show their aptitude in a serie of different sports from above mentioned classes. We can roughly divide these into running, jumping and throwing. The competitors have to participate in a series of different games and the participants with highest overall score is the winner.